Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The Cabin in the Woods (2012) - Review

The Cabin in the Woods (2012) - Starring Kristen Connolly, Chris Hemsworth, Anna Hutchison, Fran Kanz, Jesse Williams, Richard Jenkins, Bradley Whitford. Written by Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard. Directed by Drew Goddard. Rated R. Available on DVD and Netflix Watch Instantly. 

I'll go ahead and say it. The Cabin in the Woods may currently be my favorite horror movie and one of my favorite movies in general. I find it to be quite brilliant. Without giving too much away - because not knowing much going in is essential for the first viewing - it flips the conventions and ideas behind horror movies on their head and offers a fresh take on a sometimes derivative genre. While it does have funny moments, it definitely seems more horror than horror comedy. But it's hard to pinhole this film.

The script by Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard is quite good and original. The effects are insane. The performances are fantastic (my favorite in particular are Jenkins and Whitford). The ending was not necessarily what I wanted to happen, but I still thought it was a good one. I highly recommend this movie and it's a travesty that it is not more popular than it is.

Rating: 5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment