Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Annie Hall (1977) - Review

Annie Hall (1977) - Starring Woody Allen, Diane Keaton. Written by Marshall Brickman and Woody Allen. Directed by Woody Allen. Rated PG. Available on DVD.

Annie Hall is a great film. Fantastic.

The direction style that Allen uses is so distinctive. He uses techniques that seem like they wouldn't necessarily work, but they do, such as talking directly to the audience, having the people who are remembering past events present during flashback, and an almost random animated sequence. Woody Allen has such a distinctive point of a view and a comedic voice that is very clearly defined in this film.

I think my favorite thing about this film is that it seems so realistic. The actors don't even seem like they're acting. And while I don't really relate to the relationships that Allen has in the film, I feel like I understand them. Woody Allen seems to let his audience into his personal life in his film, which is why I feel like they are so unique.

Without a doubt, Annie Hall deserved the Best Picture Oscar it won. It's brilliant.

Rating: 5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment