Thursday, June 6, 2013

Sleepwalk With Me (2012) - Review

Sleepwalk With Me (2012) - Starring Mike Birbiglia, Lauren Ambrose, James Rebhorn, and Carol Kane. Written by Mike Birbiglia, Ira Glass, Joe Birbiglia, and Seth Barrish. Directed by Mike Birbiglia. Rated PG-13. Available on DVD.

This movie was one of my favorite movies that came out last year. I loved it. The movie follows Matt Pandamiglio (based on and played by Mike Birbiglia), who is an aspiring stand-up comedian who is also dealing with a troublesome time in his relationship and a severe sleep disorder. All of the events are based on actual events that happened to Birbiglia.

What makes this movie great is how realistic everything is. It feels refreshingly honest. The main character screws up and then admits to the audience that they screwed up. The film employs a Woody Allen-esque way of the main character talking to the camera to narrate events which I really enjoyed. The writing and jokes were great and I loved how the jokes in the film gets better as Matt becomes more successful in his stand-up career. The premise was inventive and as I said before, very honest. I am very excited to see the next film from Birbiglia. He's very talented and very relatable. This film has made me a huge fan.

Watch this movie. Now. You'll be glad you did.

Rating: 5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment