Sunday, June 2, 2013

Primer (2004) - Review

Primer (2004) - Starring Shane Carruth, David Sullivan. Written and Directed by Shane Carruth. Rated PG-13. Available on Netflix Watch Instantly and DVD.

The simple summary of what Primer is about is that is about two guys who accidentally build a time machine. But it is not that simple. Primer is without a doubt one of the most confusing movies I have ever seen. I tried to pay attention and follow it as best I could, but I still found myself completely lost. Maybe it's too smart for me. Maybe I need a little more information handed to me. There were just times where I felt like I had a handle on what was happening in the plot and I had a idea for the timeframe in which the story was happening, but then a scene would happen that would completely undermine that for me. To fully understand this film, you need a map or a chart to help you along the way. When a film is dealing with time travel and alternate realities, it is bound to get quite confusing and Primer is the most complex time travel film I have ever seen.

It was very good though. It was definitely one of the most original sci-fi films that I have seen in awhile. What makes it even more impressive is how effective and compelling the film is while being made for such a low budget. The acting is not that great, but that is almost to be expected in such a low budget film.

If you plan on watching this movie, be prepared to be confused. Because you will be. But this is a film that people can sit around and talk about, debating what happens in the film. Many people will watch it,  just so they can know what all the fuss is about and then offer their own insight about it. I know I'm not fully sure what happened, but I am glad I watched it.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment